Tuesday 2 October 2007

The Worlds best famous last words.

Here is a list of famous last words worthy of note, I've split the list into three catagories, deep, amusing and cool.



Deep Last Words



Ned Kelly the Australian folk hero, outlaw and legend's last words were "I suppose it had to come to this. Such is life." These said with a smile as the as the hangman adjusted the hood to cover Ned's face moments before he was hanged.


Giacomo Casanova said “I have lived as a philosopher, and die as a Christian”.


Aleister Crowley is reported to have said simply “I am perplexed.” It has also been suggested he then ominously whispered “...Satan Get Out”.


Aldous Huxley, in a note to his wife requested simply “LSD, 100 micro grams I.M”. What a legend.


Pope John Paul II kept it simple and to the point with “Amen.”


Nostradamus got one right at last saying “Tomorrow, I shall no longer be here.”


Leonardo da Vinci saidI have offended God and mankind because my work did not reach the quality it should have.” I think many people would disagree with him there.


The poet Heinrich Heine reasoned “God will pardon me, that's his line of work.”


Saint Joan of Arc, while being burned at the stake by over enthusiastic God botherers for being very good at what she did simply requested that her persecutors "Hold the cross high so I may see it through the flames". Definition of faith?



Amusing Last Words



Dominique Bouhours, the famous French grammarian finished off in the same manner in which he had chosen to live with the carefully worded sentance “I am about to — or I am going to — die: either expression is correct.”


Victor Hugo, not changing the habit of a life time satirically commented “I see black light”.


Union General John Sedgewick was killed during the Battle of Spotsylvania on May 9, 1864 while sitting on his horse and making the comment that the confederate troops were so inept that they "couldn't hit an elephant from this dis - - - " These were his last words.


Along the same lines some say General Custer's last words were “What Indians?”


Lou Costello's last words were “That was the best ice-cream soda I ever tasted."


Dylan Thomas' last words were "I have just had eighteen whiskeys in a row. I do believe that is a record." Fair play.


Voltaire's last words were "This is no time to make new enemies." He said this when asked on his deathbed to forswear Satan.

Oscar Wilde amusingly quipped "Either this wallpaper goes, or I do!" on his deathbed and then promptly died.

James French, the murderer, shocked witnesses at his execution as he sat on the electric chair and shouted towards the journalists “Hey, fellas! How about this for a headline for tomorrow's paper? 'French Fries'!” He had obviously been waiting on death row some time to say this. He thought it up all himself.


Freddie Mercury commented “Gay men love my ass and so should you.”


Pope John Paul I stated that “I will see you tomorrow, if God wills it.” He said this an hour before he died of a heart attack. I guess God didn't will it.


Domonic Willard was a small time foot crook during the Prohibition. Just before his death by firing squad, he was asked if he had any last requests. His answer will be remembered for all time; “Why, yes,” he smiled “a bulletproof vest.”



Cool Last Words



Captain Kidd the famous Pirate's last words were “My name was Captain Kidd, when I sail'd, when I sail'd, And so wickedly I did, God's laws I did forbid, When I sail'd, when I sail'd. I roam'd from sound to sound, And many a ship I found, And then I sunk or burn'd, When I sail'd. I murder'd William Moore, And laid him in his gore, Not many leagues from shore, When I sail'd. Farewell to young and old, All jolly seamen bold, You're welcome to my gold, For I must die, I must die. Farewell to Lunnon town, The pretty girls all round, No pardon can be found, and I must die, I must die, Farewell, for I must die. Then to eternity, in hideous misery, I must lie, I must lie.” He was hung twice (the rope failed to snap his neck the first time) moments later. This later became known as “The Ballad of Captain Kidd”.


Humphrey Bogart's last words were "I should never have switched from Scotch to Martinis."


Lord Byron's last words were simply "Goodnight."


Ramon Maria Narvaez the Spanish general and conservative political leader's last words were “I do not have to forgive my enemies, I have had them all shot." He said this on his deathbed when asked by a priest if he forgave his enemies.


Robert Erskine Childers faced his firing squad with balls of steal and not a little compassion in 1922 during the Irish Civil War advising “Take a step forward lads - it'll be easier that way”.


Leon Trotsky managed to say “Don't kill this man. He has a story to tell.” He said this to his guards... who were about to kill the man who had mortally wounded him with an ice axe.


Finally Socrates didn't want to go to the next word owing, his last words were "Crito, I owe a cock to Asclepius. Will you remember to pay the debt?"


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mexican Revolutionary leader Pancho Villa's last words were, "Don't let it like this. Tell them I said something."

-Tecun Aztlan

This link kills spam, your mum spammers, your mum.

Or Click For More Articles...